The Central Sector Scheme of Scholarships for Colleges and University Students is also known as the National Scholarship Scheme. The scholarship program aims to provide financial aid to academically meritorious students from economically challenged families. Launched by the Department of Higher Education (DOHE) of the Government of India.
The Central Sector Scholarship Scheme (CSSS) is a government-funded initiative designed to provide financial assistance to meritorious students belonging to economically weaker sections of society. The scheme aims to support students going for higher education after completing their 12th-grade education. Online applications have been invited for the Central Sector Scheme for Scholarships (CSSS) for college and university students.
DOHE CSS Official Web Note
The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) has issued a press note providing information about the CSSS. The press release says that if you’re eligible, you can apply for the scholarship online at scholarships.gov.in. It gives important information like the scholarship program’s name, how to apply, and the official website for applying online. This helps people who want to apply understand how to do it.
CSSS DOHE Scholarships
The 82,000 DOHE (Department of Higher Education) scholarships are awarded by the Ministry of Education, Government of India, based on the results of the Higher Secondary/Class XII Board Examination. A maximum of 82,000 fresh scholarships per year are provided for pursuing graduate or postgraduate degrees in colleges and universities and for professional courses such as medicine, Engineering, etc.
The scholarship program aims to provide financial aid to academically meritorious students from economically challenged families, with 50% reserved for girls; additionally, 3% of slots are allocated to Ladakh in UTs, and scholarships are distributed among Humanities, Science, and Commerce streams in a 3:3:1 ratio; if applications fall short, slots can be exchanged among categories, genders, and state quotas from the academic year 2024.
DOHE CSS Scholarship 2024
- The scholarship program aims to provide financial assistance to meritorious students from economically disadvantaged families pursuing higher studies, offering 82,000 fresh scholarships annually for graduate and postgraduate degrees and professional courses.
- Eligibility criteria include Class XII students above the 80th percentile, pursuing regular degree courses in recognized institutions, with a gross parental/family income limit of Rs. 4.5 lakh per annum, and renewal requirements of maintaining 50% marks, 75% attendance, and adherence to discipline.
- The scholarship rates for the financial year 2023–24 include Rs. 12,000 per annum for the first three years at the graduation level, Rs. 20,000 per annum at the postgraduate level, and professional courses receive Rs. 20,000 per year in the 4th and 5th years.
- Payments are made through the Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) mode into beneficiaries’ savings bank accounts, and tracking is facilitated via the PFMS portal using Aadhaar, bank account number, or NSP Application ID.
DOHE CSS Objective
The Central Sector Scholarship’s main objective is to give scholarships to students on time. It uses a single online portal for different scholarship programs offered by both the central and state governments. It creates a clear record of scholars, avoids repeating processes, makes different scholarship programs work together smoothly, and uses Direct Benefit Transfer to send funds directly to the students.
Eligibility Criteria for DOHE CSS 2024
- Students must score above the 80th percentile in Class XII or equivalent exams.
- Should be pursuing regular degree courses, not through distance or correspondence mode, including diploma courses.
- Enrolled in colleges or institutions recognized by the All India Council for Technical Education and relevant regulatory bodies.
- Eligible if the gross parental or family income is up to Rs. 4.5 lakh per annum; need an income certificate for fresh applications.
- You shouldn’t be availing of benefits from any other scholarship schemes, including state-run ones or fee waiver programs.
DOHE CSS 2024 Scholarship Amount
- Graduation Level: Rs. 12,000 per annum for the first three years of college and university courses.
- Post-Graduation Level: Rs. 20,000 each year for post-graduation.
- Professional Courses (5-Year Duration/Integrated Course): Students will receive Rs. 20,000 each year in the 4th and 5th years.
- Technical Courses (e.g., B.Tech., B.Engg.): Up to graduation level, students receive Rs. 12,000 per annum for the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd years and Rs. 20,000 in the 4th year.
Central Sector Scholarship Renewal
- Students must achieve a minimum of 50% marks in the annual examination to be eligible for renewal.
- A minimum attendance rate of 75% is mandatory for renewal.
- Scholars must maintain good behavior, adhering to disciplined conduct throughout their academic pursuits.
- Applicants who missed renewal on NSP can apply later if they fulfill renewal eligibility.
DOHE CSS 2024 Selection Process
The selection process indicates transparency and fairness, strictly relying on candidates’ merit, aligning with the Government of India’s reservation policy, reserving 30% of slots for women, allocating 50% to Arts, Humanities, Social Sciences, Law, Management, and the other 50% to Science, Engineering & Technology, Medical, Technical, Agriculture, and Forestry, resolving ties using UG examination marks, and using XII class marks for additional shortlisting if needed.
Central Sector Scholarship Benefits
- CSSS scholarships offer financial support to selected students based on their education level.
- Benefits include assistance for covering tuition fees, books, and other educational expenses.
- It lessens the financial load on the family.
- Opens up opportunities for higher education.
- Acts as motivation for students to perform well in their studies.
Central Sector Scholarship Reservation
The Central Sector Scholarship offers reservation benefits to students belonging to reserved categories, weaker sections, and minorities based on merit and adherence to the Central Reservation Policy.
- 15% of seats are designated for Scheduled Castes (SCs).
- 7.5% of seats are designated for Scheduled Tribes (STs).
- 27% of seats are designated for Other Backward Classes (OBCs).
- 5% horizontal reservation for persons with disabilities (PwDs) across all categories.
Central Sector Scholarship Online Apply
Apply for the CSSS on the National Scholarship Portal (NSP) through the online application process, typically available from June to September each year.
- Visit the National Scholarship Portal (NSP) website at https://scholarships.gov.in.
- Click on “New Registration”.
- Select the “Central Sector Scholarship Scheme” from the list of available scholarships.
- Fill out the application form with accurate details, including academic information, an income certificate, a caste certificate (if applicable), and a disability certificate (if applicable).
- Upload scanned copies of the necessary supporting documents.
Necessary documents for online application registration
- Identity proof using an Aadhaar Card
- Class 12th Mark Sheets
- Income Certificate
- Bank Passbook
- Caste Certificate
- Disability Certificate
What is the Central Sector Scheme of Scholarships for Colleges and University Students?
It is also known as the National Scholarship Scheme, providing financial assistance to meritorious students from low-income families pursuing higher studies.
Who launched the Central Sector Scholarship Scheme?
The Department of Higher Education (DOHE), Government of India, launched the scheme.
How does the Central Sector Scholarship handle reservations?
15% seats for SCs, 7.5% for STs, 27% for OBCs, and 5% horizontal reservation for PwDs.
Reservations are made based on merit and adherence to the Central Reservation Policy.
What are the renewal criteria for the Central Sector Scholarship?
Renewal requires a minimum of 50% marks, a minimum of 75% attendance, and good behavior.
Applicants who missed renewal on NSP can apply later if they fulfill renewal eligibility.
What are the eligibility criteria for a Central Sector Scholarship?
Students must score above the 80th percentile in Class XII, pursue regular degree courses in recognized institutions, and have a gross parental or family income of up to Rs. 4.5 lakh per annum.